Wednesday, June 5, 2013

My Milkshake Brings All the (Vegan) Boys to the Yard

June 05, 2013 (6:05pm)
by Kate
My Milkshake Brings All the (Vegan) Boys to the Yard

Ok, so maybe just this one vegan boy named Zach, but hey, I’ll teach you and I

won’t even charge! So I’ve been following this vegan diet recently, and I must say, I

have a few love hate feelings with the “no dairy” part. I notice that I have more

energy, less stomach problems and clearer skin when I am not eating dairy.

Obviously these are all good things that I appreciate from my new diet. But the

problem is that I am missing my one great edible love, a food I could eat every day at

every meal and never grow sick of. And that, my friends, is ice cream.

Maybe it’s the South Florida childhood that wants nothing more than a cold,

creamy ice cream cone on a humid, hot day spent swimming and running around in

the sun. And honestly, I can’t think of a food that has a more satisfying texture;

sweet, refreshing, melts in your mouth. I love ice cream in all forms, but I must say

my particular favorite is the milkshake. And so I was elated to discover, via a happy

accident of trying to create a paleo protein shake that didn’t taste like garbage (yes,

I’ve tried it all as far as diets go), that I discovered this recipe. Completely dairyfree, no added sugar, and tastes just like a milkshake with two of my favorite flavors,

peanut butter and bananas as well!

Here’s what you need:

-Almond or soy milk (I like to use unsweetened vanilla almond milk)

-Ice cubes

-Peanut butter

- A banana

- A blender

Put about 5 ice cubes in a blender. Then put the banana in a blender. I find the riper

the banana the better. Then put peanut butter in the blender; I like peanut butter

a lot so I probably put like 4 tablespoons in. Then put in almond milk so that the

bananas, ice cubes and peanut butter are almost covered but not completely. Hit

blend.

The thing I love about this recipe is that you can personalize to your tastes. Usually

I blend, taste a spoonful, see what it’s missing in my mind to taste more like a

milkshake, then go from there. For instance, if it’s too runny or not cold enough, I

add more ice cubes. Kind of bland? Maybe a little more peanut butter. Feel free

to get creative; try chocolate soy milk, add some spices, almond butter instead of

peanut butter. It’s mainly the combination of creamy peanut butter with almond

milk and ice cubes that give it the ice cream flavor/texture. Hopefully it will help all

you ice cream loving vegans out there feel like you don’t have to miss your favorite

food any longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment